Friday, April 23, 2010

Poverty/Pobreza

I have been meditating a lot on the issue of poverty and my students. I think I had awareness about what it means. This year in particular, I have been meditating and making connections with greater detail about what that really means. Most of all, how poverty affects learning in school. It's funny, but every time I think about this, I remember the one scene in the movie The Matrix with Keanu Reaves. When Neo goes to see the Oracle for the first time, he has to wait for a few minutes in a room with some kids. One of them is "bending" spoons with his mind. The boy tells Neo: "Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible, only realize the truth." Neo asks: "What is the truth?" The boy replies: "There is no spoon." I suspect that somehow what this scene shows  is that I have denied poverty in my students because I want to believe with all my heart that they are all as capeable as any other kid in the school. So I started reading a book called When Poverty's Children Write, By Bobbie A. Solley. So far I have been enriched by what I've read.

He estado meditando mucho en el tema de la pobreza y en el de mis alumnos. Creo que estaba consicente de lo que esto representa. Este año en particular, he estado meditando y haciendo conecciones con mayor detalle acerca de lo que significa esto verdaderamente. Sobretodo, cómo afecta la pobreza en el aprendizaje escolar. Se me hace curioso pero cada vez que pienso en esto me acuerdo de una escena de la película "The Matrix" con Keanu Reaves. Cuando Neo va a ver al Oráculo por primera vez tiene que esperar unos momentos en una sala junto con unos niños. Uno de ellos está "doblando" cucharas con la mente. El niño le dice a Neo. "No trates de doblar la cuchara, eso es imposible. sólo date cuenta de la verdad." Neo le pregunta: "Y cuál es la verdad? El niño contesta: "Que no hay cuchara alguna."  Se me hace que ésta escena me muestra que he estado negando la pobreza de mis alumnos porque quiero creer con todo mi corazón que son tan capaces como cualquier otro niño en la escuela. Asi que empezé a leer un libro que se llama Cuando los Niños Pobres Escriben, escrito por Bobbie A. Solley. Hasta ahora me ha enriquecido mucho lo que he leído.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I love to read your posts in Spanish just to make sure I still can understand the language! I did pretty good! The book you mentioned sounds good! I will have to check it out. :0)

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete